Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Geocaching

I've been geocaching for two years now. Annie introduced me to the sport in April of 2007. I love it, but I don't do it as much as I'd like. I've come to the conclusion that I only geocache when I have someone with me. So I've decided to try geocaching on my own. I've successfully found two all by myself...woohoo! One of which is at my favorite cemetery in the entire world on Captiva Island. I had no idea there was a cache there. I had even brought Annie and Kate there on two different occasions!
Today when I was on the geocaching site to log my visit, I decided to do a search of caches in my area. I was astonished to find that there are 65 geocaches within a five mile radius of my house! I've probably have found only five of those! Just what I needed-something else to add to my to-do list!
These are my two favorite tombstones at the Chapel by the Sea Cemetery.

Photobucket

Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. We won't ever hear from you again. You'll be a geocaching fiend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright, I'm going to have to ask you to explain this to me. You use your GPS to find hidden containers, do they have anything in them? Do you usually do this on foot or in your car, I guess both probably. What excites you the most about it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie- Geocaching is sort of like a treasure hunt using a handheld GPS rather than a map. The caches range in size from teeny tiny to large five gallon buckets! Most of the ones I have found are film canisters or small rubber maid containers. The smaller ones contain only a log book to prove that you were there and the larger ones allow people to trade items.
    I usually start out by car, find a parking space relatively close by and walk the rest of the way.
    I guess what excites me most is the thrill of the hunt and random passersby that are completely clueless as to why I'm searching the bushes! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds fun and interesting. How does your GPS track them down? How do the containers stay put, what if it got moved?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get the lat/long. coordinates from geocaching.com and program them into my GPS. Sometimes they do get moved/taken and then the owner will replace it. I've seen some really good camo though and some have velcro or magnets so they stay put.

    ReplyDelete