Thursday, February 12, 2009

President Obama visits Fort Myers

After Katie's comment on my previous post, I decided I would write a little more about the economic situation in Fort Myers. Earlier this week, President Obama visited Elkhart, Indiana and Fort Myers, Florida to talk with people about unemployment and foreclosures in these hard hit areas as well as promote his economic stimulus plan. An article was published in the New York Times on Monday, February 8 discussing Lee County and Lehigh Acres in particular. This was seriously heartbreaking for me as Lehigh is where I grew up and most of my family still lives there. My father is a local real estate broker and he was featured in the NY Times article.
In the midst of President Obama's town hall meeting here in Fort Myers on Tuesday, he was informed that the senate had passed his economic stimulus plan. So here's to hoping we see some improvement soon...

3 comments:

  1. Wow. i had no idea that things were that bad down there. In a sense I'm very thankful that we moved when we did. Northern Colorado is very diverse in its income, we've been in this kind of protected pocket...which makes it harder to realize the truth of the recession that many people are going through. Is your family doing okay out there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family is doing alright...not living the high life like three years ago that's for sure! But we all are employed and paying the bills, so we can't complain. It's funny because until the NY Times article and the President's visit, I had no idea that we were really that worse off than the rest of the country. I knew our unemployment rate was high since I had been unemployed for awhile, but I hadn't realized Lee County had one of the highest foreclosure rates in the Country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So crazy. I'm so glad to hear that everyone's doing alright and they're making ends meet. Here's hoping Obama gives all that hope and change he's been talking about.

    ReplyDelete